Monday, January 30, 2012

Need to re organize my laundry room

I walked into our laundry room today and realized... it sucks. Up until Thursday I had our Dryer venting into a bucket contraption like this....


This is what I had when I was living in an apartment and had no way to vent my dryer. When we bought our house, there were/are two washer dryer locations. Since I'm lazy I'm practical I wanted our main washer and dryer to be next to the kitchen, so I didn't have to walk down two flights of stairs so that I could make the best use of my time. So last week I had a fire inspector come to give me the ok to send in my application for a home daycare. I had everything perfect, except for the dryer. So it was time for me to put on my big girl panties and vent that dryer outside. There was already a vent hole cut, all I had to do was buy the venting kit and install it. Easy peasy! UNLESS you have two dryer vents and you are so excited to do a "project" that you don't double check which old vent you are removing. Yeah, I ripped that old vent out with gusto.... and out came a long piece of metal vent. huh? "where was THAT?" I wondered as I sat and looked at the vent pipe hanging out of the back of my house. Then I looked up, and saw the kitchen window, then over to my right.... where I saw the OTHER vent that I was suppose to remove. Yeah I totally disconnected the basement dryer vent. Don't be jealous of my awesome, it takes a lot of skill.  The good thing to come out of this was I got to see the inside of the dryer vent pipe. OMG! Let's talk about fire safety, and how NOT SAFE that vent was! I took that as a sign to not hook that bad boy back up. (We don't use that dryer anyway)
     To make a long story even longer, I fixed the broken vent, then properly installed the new vent in the proper location. Now our dryer vents properly outside and I no longer have a laundry room full of lint. So when I decided to organize my laundry room and started clearing this off the changing table I noticed HOW MUCH LINT was all over everything. So now it's a deep clean and re org.


There has to be a better way. This is the "it gets worse before it gets better" stage.  I'm embarassed that it's this bad, and this is actually light years better than it was 6 months ago. Progress... even baby steps move you forward. 


Hmmmm... wheels turning. I have a lot that I want to do today. I'll post after pictures, hopefully they will be better than the before. lol!

No comments: